Offering vestiges from the olden times, Axente Sever is a village with a great significance for archaeologists – here were discovered ceramics dating since II-III centuries but also a copper coin from Roman Emperor Hadrian (117-138). The 700 years old village, located in Sibiu county, takes it’s name from a great patriot, which participated in the revolution of 1848-1849, Axente Ioan also called “Sever”. One of the previous names of the village was Frauendorf (Women Village), because of a church of catholic nuns that was located here.
The church from Axente Sever village was mentioned for the first time in a document in 1322. The church was built in the beginning of the XIVth century and it is a hall-church with square nave and pentagonal choir.
Axente Sever church is one of the few in Transylvania that have the bell tower above the choir, similar examples being found in Agarbiciu, Ocna Sibiu and Turnisor.
The fortress, as locals name it, has a defense tower with shooting niches in the attic and defensive wall, reinforced with strong buttresses, above which there are “heating oil holes”.
In IV century, a chapel was built attached to the south side of the choir, who had an apse to the east. Access is made through the door with platband from stone on the south side of the choir.
The choir originally had five windows completed in fretted warheads, two of which were walled. Today none of the windows is preserved in their original form.
On the surrounding wall was set the watch road that rises over the warehouses designed for supplies.
Currently, some pantries function as a museum and the other ones as guesthouse.
- AddressDN14, Axente Sever 557025, Romania
- Opening hours
5 Lei (~ 1.1 Euro)