The National Village Museum was opened on 17th of May 1936 and it is a creation of Dimitrie Gusti, a Romanian folklorist and sociologist.
Located in a green area of Bucharest, the Village Museum it’s not only an array of houses but it represents a full village in a natural landscape with all its components: houses, church, windmills, watermills, a manual oil press etc .
The exhibited buildings were transported from their place of origin and refitted on the current territory of the museum.
Currently the museum has 350 monuments in the permanent exhibition and 55000 objects organised in patrimony deposits built according to the principles of modern museology. Some of the most valuable monuments in the museum are:
– Moiseni Grange dated 1780, Berbesti Grange dated 1775, Ieud Grange dated 1890 and the church from Dragomiresti dated 1722 – these are all from Maramures County;
– Lower Salciua Grange from Alba county, dated 1815;
– Rapciuni Church dated 1773, Monocellular House from Zapodeni and a manual oil press are all from Sibiu County;
The museum is a good representation of the village and it definitely worth paying a visit to get an idea about how romanian peasants were living 200 years ago.
- AddressVillage Museum, Șoseaua Pavel Dimitrievici Kiseleff 28-30, București 011347
- Opening hours
Daily: 9.00 – 17.00
Adults: 10 Lei (~2.2 Euro); Euro 26 owners: 5 Lei (~ 1.1 Euro)