The monastery is located in Suceava and was built between 1514-1522 to serve as the church of Metropolitan of Suceava (it seems that Mirauti church was not large enough for the crowd which used to visit the relics of St. John the New). Medieval architectural complex of the former Metropolitan Cathedral include, along with the St. George church and the belfry, the chapel of Anastasie Crimca. Due to the priceless historical and architectural value, the monument was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993.
The church reveals a classic partitioning. In this church, the crypt, which would have to be inserted between the narthex and nave, is missing. Instead of the crypt there is an extension of the nave, to the west. The tower is octagonal, has four windows and four small buttresses. It sits on a stellate dual socle, with eight peaks.
Both the exterior and interior painting is from the reign of Petru Rares – 1534-1535; this was one of the first churches painted from the order of this ruler. It was restored by the Viennese painter Johann Viertelberger, his work lasting almost three years.
In terms of style, the nave has the most representative paintings. In St. George church, the Annunciation represents the Mother of God seated on the throne; beyond her are two maids which unfold the curtain and alongside, on a chair, on the right side of the viewer, sits a woman without aura, purring. There is no other fresco representing the Annunciation in which are represented the women that stretch the curtain behind the chair in which sits the Virgin. Also Erminia knows no other such representation.
In the semi-calotte of the north apse is currently one of the best scenes from medieval Moldavian painting – the Crucifixion.
From an artistic standpoint, deserves some special attention the votive painting affected between 1589 and 1910 – this is the year the painting has been restored.
The iconostasis was donated to the monastery in 1786 and belongs to Baroque Moldavian style, excelling by the impressive size, ornaments and chromatic richness.
Exterior painting executed in continuation of the inner one, which gave glow to the Metropolitan Cathedral in Suceava, suffered a pronounced deterioration in the Habsburg domination – it was mostly covered with a new layer of plaster and even more, to make the new layer stick to the wall, the old painted plaster was hit with the hammer – this caused irreparable damage to the church.
Exterior painting includes the scene of the siege of Constantinople, a scene admirable by elegance and very eloquent in content, imagining a procession of sacred characters who accompany the emperor Constantine the Great.
The simplest and most dramatic composition, occupying all the western wall is the Last Judgement – this is truly a masterpiece of the painter.
The monastic cells were built in the eighteenth century, and the residence in 1894. Inside the monastery is the repository of old Romanian books of Suceava county.
The bell tower, located at the entrance, was built in 1589 by Prince Petru Schiopul. To the initial building, in 1910, were added two floors.
- AddressStrada Iancu Flondor 4, Suceava, Romania
Free Access; No photo charges