It is assumed that this building was constructed in order to hide from the press the big parties which the Romanian military used to have at the end of the XIX century and the beginning of the XX century.
The construction of the building, which was going to be considered the “architectural adornment of the country”, was started in 1911 having as main beneficiary the Military circle of the officers of the Bucharest garrison (an organization founded on 15th of December 1876).
The edifice, although not finished, was seriously damaged during the First World War; after the restoration and end of construction works, it was inaugurated, on 4th of February 1923 in presence of King Ferdinand I and Queen Maria of Romania among other important personalities of the time.
The palace hosts today the central institution of culture of the Romanian army, having mainly a educative, cultural, artistic, recreational, entertainment profile but also a representation and protocol profile.
The building has several imposing halls but the most important are:
Marble Hall was designed from the beginning to host the most important events and today can still be considered one of the most successful achievements of Romanian architecture.
Maurice Hall is located in the Marble Hall extension. It has walls dressed in quality wood-paneled and with discreet decorative motifs. The ceiling is designed in boxes decorated with stylized floral and covered with gold leaf.
The Byzantine Hall takes its name from the Byzantine style design, adding specific elements of traditional Romanian art. The room is dominated by a series of arches that support a coffered ceiling, arches which rests on a series of columns ennobled with friezes of gilded stucco work . On the last renovation, inside the Roman arches were added frescoes representing images of some leaders of Independent Romania and milestones in the history of the nation.
Gothic Hall is a Gothic architectural ambience, characterized by arches broken in ogives and simple chandeliers. The underfloor is designed in Bavarian Gothic style.
This Hall is inspired from the specific atmosphere of North Europe, with chandeliers in the form of the Viking ship, wooden ceiling with beams ended in consoles representing images of fantastic animals, also inspired from Scandinavian mythology, giving the impression of old northern interior.
Grounds are obvious of antique inspiration, with styling and processing in the style of the era. Swords, knives, shields, spears, helmets, darts, the gods of war , all lead us to the military environment.
The National Palace of the Military Circle can only be visited once a year, around the Romanian Army Day (October 25th). Usually the visiting date and hours are published on posters outside the building and on the institution’s website (unfortunately only in Romanian until now).
- AddressConstantin Mille St., no. 1, Bucharest
- Opening hours
Can be visited only one day a year (around October 25th)