The Ropemakers Bastion in Brasov is the first bastion of the fortress mentioned in documents, in year 1416. The bastion has an hexagonal shape and initially was 10-12 m high. It was also equipped with firing holes for mobile arms. The flat brick arches, whose traces can still be seen today, were built later.
The bastion was severely affected by fires in 1461 and 1689, the latter one causing great damages to the original construction. When restoration works were completed, the Ropemakers Bastion served as warehouse for materials.
The house nearby, which can be still seen today, was built in 1794 by the guild that had possession of the tower. In 1894, the bastion was sold for 2,000 florins, significant amount at that time.
Bastion Ropemakers was renovated in 2006 and now it is really a monument worthy of our admiration.
- AddressTiberiu Brediceanu Alee, Brașov, Brașov County